Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor

Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor
  • Cast iron pump with big bore cylinder and piston, combined with greater bore and stroke, delivers maximum performance
  • Substantially lower noise levels with a large 1,720 RPM pump, enabling greater displacement at lower RPM
  • Low amp draw reduces incidences of tripped breakers and voltage drop that can cause premature motor failure
  • Oil lubricated provides cooler running pump, minimizes wear
  • One-year manufacturer's warranty

I just received the compressor and it's the first one that I've owned. The shroud was cracked upon receipt, but I don't think it's worth the trouble to have that piece replaced.

Now that I've gotten everything figured out, I think it'll work fine, but the manual is a complete disaster. Some important setup instructions are completely omitted and others are so obtuse as to be worthless. If you don't know your way around compressors, the following steps that I took may prove useful:

1. Remove the plastic plug on the back of the compressor and pour in the included oil until the level is about half way up the little transparent indicator window.

2. Replace the disposable oil plug with the long black plastic one that they include (not in the instructions -the piece is item number 36 on the parts diagram)

3. Remove the other disposable plastic plug from the side of the compressor (high up and toward the back of the shroud. This is where you need to install the air filter (also not in the instructions.) The air filter assembly is item number 35 on the parts diagram -it's the other spare part included that's chrome and about the size of a hockey puck with a wing nut holding it together.

4. You'll screw in the air filter assembly where you removed that plastic plug, but I'd suggest that you use some teflon tape on the threads to make a good seal.

5. The instructions mention that you're to open the air receiver's drain valve for initial start up. Nowhere in any diagram is any part labeled as such, but I'm pretty sure it's item number 47, a valve on the side of the compressor very near the bottom.

Hopefully this'll save someone some time!

Buy Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor Now

I have had this compressor for a couple of weeks now and really like it. It is a high quality unit clearly built to last. I chose this model over the very popular oil-free pancake compressors mainly for it's compact size and low noise level....and it did not dissappoint me. I would say this unit is half as loud as those typical oil-fee models by P*rter C*ble. I can easly run it indoors while remodeling a bedroom, and hardly hear in the room next door.

The unit is compact, but much heavier duty than similar Cr*ftman compressors I saw at Sears. It recycles quickly and fills the tank in less than 20 seconds. It came with a good owner's manual and a bottle of oil. I did have a problem where the plastic oil filler cap was cracked, but Makita quickly sent me a replacement part under warantee. I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for an occasional use compressor and does not want something large or loud.

Read Best Reviews of Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor Here

I purchased this unit to replace an oil-less pancake compressor that burned out. The Makita MAC700 is super! It has all the attributes of a large high quality oil-lube compressor. I am very pleased to report that the unit is as quiet as advertised. By comparison, the pancake compressor this unit replaced was DREADFULLY loud. I am impressed with the powerful low-rpm motor and the heavy duty oil-lube design. In my opinion, the longevity and quietness that an oil-lube compressor offers, far outweighs the time and slight inconvenience of routine maintenance. At this time, I cannot suggest any improvements to this machine. I love it! If you are looking for a light duty air compressor, I highly recommend the MAC700 Hot Dog Air Compressor. It's great for finish nailers, car and bicycle tires, and kids' toys. A great addition to any home garage!

Want Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor Discount?

After working with a friend's older version of this compressor for the last eight months, I decided to splurge and get my own. If this compressor is anything like the older model, it's going to last forever. We left the older model out, under a saw table, in rain, snow, 100 degree heat you name it. Never had any problems with it.

I've only had this one for 2 days, so I can't speak much about it other than to say it's quiet enough to use and talk at the same time, and it feels very well built. It's also heavier than I expected, but the carrying handle makes moving it around easy on the back.

One thing I had read the other reviews that mentioned shipping damage and hoped for the best. When it arrived, I checked the box, and there was only one small ding in a corner. What I should have done was kept the FedEx driver there until I actually got it out of the box. It looks like someone must've dropped it, and from a pretty good height! One of the legs was bent about 2 inches, so the compressor would rock when set down. Fortunately, the compressor itself (external tubes and gauges and whatnot) are all fine.

I fired it up and it ran fine, so I decided to keep it. I'll try to hammer out the bent leg at some point. It's annoying, but I don't want to go through the exchange process and be without air for another two weeks.

The startup process is fairly simple. The manual doesn't explain what goes where when you open the box, but it's reasonably self-evident. There are two plastic plugs on the compressor that need to come out. One covers the oil filler, and one covers the air intake port. You replace the plug on the air intake port (topmost plug) with the included air filter, and you replace the oil filler plug with the included oil cap. There's a window into the oil reservoir so you can see how much oil is in it. Before you run it for the first time, fill it (with the included oil) until the oil line is midway in the window. Then, open the air release valve at the very bottom of the air tank and run the compressor for 20 minutes. After that, you should be good to go. Check the oil level periodically, of course!

On a related note, I also bought the Campbell Hausfeld MP520010AV air tool accessory kit to get me started. For the price, I'm happy with that too.

Save 32% Off

Makita has put a full size, quiet, oil-lubed motor on a small, lighter weight tank; about 20lbs lighter than the 4 gallon tanks. This makes it great for carrying up stairs and around the job site. The smaller size means it can fit through studs or sit in the footwell of your vehicle. I have used mine for finish work, roofing and framing. Of course, with the smaller tank (2.6 gal) it kicks on more often to recharge, but it is quieter than most. It is tall and narrow, so it tips easy in the bed of a pickup. This is not good for transporting, so be sure to pack things around it. When mine arrived, the box said "factory reconditioned". With two emails back and forth to amazon customer service, a brand new one was sent out and the reconditioned one was picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment