Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Stanley Bostitch CWC200ST 3HP 4-Gallon Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor

Stanley Bostitch CWC200ST 3HP 4-Gallon Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor
  • Bostitch Twin Hot Dog Compressor with 3-horsepower, 15-amp induction motor
  • 5.1-cfm @ 40-psi and 4.0-cfm @ 90-psi; dual air outlets
  • Cast-iron pump cylinder for extreme durability
  • Includes panel with regulator gauges and hose port
  • Backed by 1-year warranty

I bought one of these compressors a couple of months ago after doing carefull research and actually going to a repair facility here in AZ that handles warranty repairs for a variety of brands. Comparing quality versus price the Bostitch CW200ST was a winner.

So I bought one to use with a Bostitch nail gun and stapler while restoring my parents house. I estimate that the compressor has about 15 (fifteen) hours of use by now. The oil pump reaches pressure rather quickly but the pressure regulator cuts the power at 120 PSI rather than 125 PSI as prescribed. The condensation drains are installed in a bad place and when open do not drain because they are too high on the tanks I estimate that it will have over a QUART of water inside each tank before any will reach the drains. You will have to tilt the compressor down and rock it side to side to get the water out, furthermore when tilted the lower drain hits the floor impedig drainage so you actually have to lift this rather heavy machine and tilt it and rockit at the same time in order to drain...A real pain!!! the handles are not in the right places and the unit does not balance well at all.

Shortly after purchasing the unit one of the Quick Disconnects on the compressor will not seal itself after the hose is taken off and will merily leak all the air out in about one minute, I had to replace that so I could use the machine. It is rather cumbersome to unscrew the disconnects as they are too close to each other and the pressure Gauge. For about the last five hours of use I started to notice that if left pressurized overnight the air was gone in the morning upon closer inspection I could hear a faint hiss comming from somewhere behind the regulator It was not much just enough to leak and turn the machine on about every 15 minutes even if I did not use air. Yesterday the manual regulator prooved to be the culprit as when I started the compressor for the first time it would not hold air at all. The two halves that make the assembly where the manual knob is placed have came apart where they are threaded together. I took the disconnects off and loked at the problem. It looked like vibration had caused the two parts to came undone. I Screwed them back together and put some red thread locking liquid on them. I put everything back together and left it overnight to set. Today I power it on and it run up to the regular 120 PSI. I put my head next to it to listen for the noise of air escaping and sure enough there was a faint hisssss... While I was trying to figure out where the noise is caming from The back of the manual regulator popped loose again suddenly letting all the air escape in an instant startling me and prompting my wife to ask from the kitchen some ways away: "did you do that on purpose?" Well NO. The Zamak threads are soft and do not mesh.They are too loose and thin hence the problem. The machine is unusable untill I get a replacement hopefully of beter quality. Unfortunately I have to get the exact size and probably same model since it mounts on the front panel with a plastic threaded ring and space is rather limited and, it neds to have the same ports and orintation so it can take the various hoses and ports connecting to it... Overall the tech was right the actuall compressor is well done I believe he said it was Italian made the rest is rather sloppy and not thought out well. There is a small tag on the unit, it says: "Made in PRC" I don't think that is nowhere near USA

Buy Stanley Bostitch CWC200ST 3HP 4-Gallon Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor Now

Had this unit 1 month and the motor locked up, took Bostitch repair center 3 weeks to fix, told me it was a common problem they were seeing with this unit. I wish I bought the Makita instead.

***6 month update---broke again, this time I am getting it fixed and selling it...and buying the Makita...I have 4 Bostitch nailers and like them..VERY dissapointed in Bostitch on this one, Bostitch customer service has been no help.

Read Best Reviews of Stanley Bostitch CWC200ST 3HP 4-Gallon Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor Here

The motor on my compressor consistently sticks, even when connected to a 20 amp wall circuit. I have taken the compressor in for service, but the problems persist. Generally, I like Bostitch tools, but they really missed the mark with this one.

Want Stanley Bostitch CWC200ST 3HP 4-Gallon Oiled Twin Hot Dog Compressor Discount?

I've had this compressor for about 6 months, but only recently have been able to test it with some projects.

I really like it a lot. It builds up pressure quickly, and powers my air tools without any problem. I don't lose any performance when I run it under 90PSI and it needs to kick in again. It's not really all that noisy unless you're right next to it, and you can easily hold a conversation while it's running in the same area.

I haven't had any problems with it at all, and am looking forward to many years of service from this tool.

Save 5% Off

i've had this compressor for 3 years. it froze up about a month after i purchased it, repair facility was fast, and put a new motor on swiftly.

it will not work in cold weather. it's an ordeal trying to get it to cycle in weather less than 40deg.

i think the problem is the motor, I say this because a shopmate bought a rigid mini wheel barrow compressor that has a visually identical compressor motor on it, and it doesn't work well in cold weather either. My shop is not heated, so on cold days we have a contest to see who can get their compressor running first. that's when we're in a good mood, often when you are working on a cabinet or somesuch, you hear the motor click on but not cycle and you curse under your breath because it's a pain in the butt.

as i speak it has an audible leak in it's regulator somewhere. it ruptured the hose from the regulator to the shutoff valve once before, it was loud and happened in a clients home.

so, after three years of consistent use it's still going, but not without a lot of help along the way.

if i could i'd look for a model with a completely different motor assembly.

and if i had my $250 back.

No comments:

Post a Comment